Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Weekly e-Newsletter from Senator Chambliss

Dear Friends,

Happy Fourth of July!

This week, I joined my Republican colleagues in cosponsoring the constitutional amendment, S.J.Res.10, to balance the federal budget.  Currently, 48 states have some form of a balanced budget requirement, including Georgia. The current and projected imbalance between government spending and revenues is unsustainable, and Washington has an obligation to say ‘enough is enough.’ We must stop spending money we don’t have and stop playing politics with America’s future. This legislation will force Congress and the administration to put our nation on a path toward fiscal sustainability.
I also joined with my Senate colleagues in voting 94-0 to confirm David Petreaus as Director of the CIA. He has done an excellent job leading our men and women in uniform, and I am confident that he will be just as successful at the CIA . To watch my floor speech on Petreaus’ nomination, please click here. To watch my conversation with Petreaus during his nomination hearing, click here.

To watch my weekly YouTube address in which I discuss President Obama’s press conference and the looming debt ceiling vote, click here.

I also had a chance to discuss the issues of the day with the Macon Rotary on Monday. I enjoy visiting with fellow Georgians, and hearing constituents' concerns.  As always, I encourage you to call my office while I am in D.C. and let me know what you think about the issues. I depend upon these calls to help me make informed decisions about the future of our country. If you would like to read about my Macon visit, you can click here.

I continue to pray for the drought-stricken counties in south Georgia. Agriculture Secretary Vilsack went above and beyond Gov. Deal and my request in naming an additional 26 counties as contiguous disaster counties. Now all counties hit by this severe weather will have access to the aid they need to bounce back from this unfortunate situation. To read more about this designation, please click here.
If you are planning a visit to D.C., I hope you will stop by my office and say hello, or pick up a pack of Georgia peanuts. You can also click here for more information on activities to do while you are in town.

I know not everyone has time to visit me in DC, or stop what they are doing in order to find out what I have been up to. So I am happy to introduce another way for you to stay in touch with me: a mobile app for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch devices. To read more about this new service, click here. To download the app in the App store, click here.

Should you need assistance with a federal agency, you may contact my office toll free at 800-234-4208, or send an e-mail by clicking the icon at the top of this page that says “e-mail me.” You can also send a letter to one of my office addresses listed at the very bottom of this newsletter.
Sincerely,